menuMENU    UK Free TV logo Freeview



Click to see updates

Connecting it all up

Why are there so many sorts of connecting cables? Find out with this quick guide.

Why are there so many sorts of connecting cables?  Find out wit
published on UK Free TV

Why are there so many sorts of connecting cables? Find out with this quick guide.

The connectors on each cable are called plugs (and are also called male) and they will usually fit only into one sort of socket (or female connector).

Most cables you will come across are male to male. Occasionally you will find leads with a socket on one end and a plug on the other, and these are called "extension cables".


The SCART cable is used to connect a set-top box to a television set, or to a video recorder. This can only be a short cable. The SCART cable carries all of these types of signal:

  • analogue stereo sound
  • a single RGB television picture
  • a single composite video picture
  • a single S-Video video picture
  • widescreen picture signal

As stereo sound, RGB picture and widescreen signal is the best possible combination for digital television viewing, it is vital to use a SCART lead between any set-top box and the main television.

The composite video picture with stereo sound is the best combination for a VHS video recorder. If your set-top box has two SCART sockets, it is likely that the one marked TV will carry RGB picture information and the other will not.

If your television has more than one SCART input, you may need to choose a special one (marked RGB) if you want to use RGB from the SCART cable.

On most set-top boxes it is possible to turn the RGB output on and off. This can be used to test the RGB input function on the television ? the picture quality appears blurred when it is disabled.

If have a DVD player, rather than a VHS recorder, you can attach this to the set-top boxes second SCART connector. The signal from the set-top box will normally be overridden by the DVD player when it is on, usually in high-quality RGB.

Some very cheap SCART cables do not have all the pins connected. They may not provide RGB and widescreen picture signals. SCART cables are normally no more than three metres in length.

UHF lead

The UHF lead is a lead that you would traditionally associate with television signals. They can carry:

  • up to 45 (but normally only five) analogue television channels
  • a single picture from a set-top box
  • around 50 analogue cable TV channels
  • mono sound
  • NICAM stereo sound
  • Teletext services (for example, Ceefax)

You can't avoid these cables if you are going to use Freeview, as these cables are the only ones that you can use to distribute Freeview signals around the house.

Where you have an integrated digital television (an idTV) you just need to get the signal from the aerial to the television with one of these cables.

If you are using a Freeview set-top box, you will need to get the signal from the aerial to the set-top box using this aerial lead, but for best results connect the TV to the box with a SCART cable.

You can also use a UHF lead to connect a set-top box to a television somewhere in the house. Your set-top box will require a RF (radio frequency) modulator. Note that "RF passthough" is another way of saying there is no modulator. You will be able to "tune" the second television into the picture showing on the set-top box.

Some boxes (all Sky boxes) have the ability to connect a remote control receiver to the second TV end of the interconnecting cable, so you can change channels.

The set-top boxes, whilst providing a reasonable quality picture to the second TV, will always provide only mono sound via a UHF lead.

The step-change in picture quality obtained by switching to RGB on a SCART is far greater than any obtained though spending any more on a gold-plated SCART cable.

Satellite or cable TV cable

These cables are usually very stiff, and have a very basic screw connector on the end. Usually they will provide an unbroken link to the satellite dish. At the dish end they plug into the device on the end of the arm, the LNB.

Don't try to disconnect these cables when the set-top box is on. Usually there is a small voltage that will cause dangerous sparks.

If the cable connects to a satellite dish, there is not much you can do with the cable. Each receiver in the set-top box needs it's own wire to the LNB. With a personal video recorder (such as Sky+), or a multi-room installations there are two cables to the four-output LNB on the dish. If you want more rooms, each will require it's own cable.

If the cable is providing cable TV, then it is possible to use inexpensive "Y connectors" to link the incoming signal to various set-top boxes, cable modems, or - via an adaptor - directly to the back of a TV.

Composite video cable

This is the most simple and basic video connection you can get. It carries:

  • a single picture from a set-top box

The picture will be in colour, and of comparable quality to a analogue broadcast station. However, there is no sound. For that reason this cable is often found joined to a stereo audio cable.

These signals are quite robust and can be carried for many metres. Often modern television sets have a single yellow photo input on their front input panel.

You also use an identical cable to carry digital stereo (SPDIF) sound.

Stereo audio cable

These cables carry the left and right channels of sound on two joined cables. They are usually required when a SCART cable is not being used, as the SCART cable already carries stereo sound.

If you are connecting your set-top box to an external stereo system, a separate stereo audio is used.

There is no real practicable limit to the length of these cables, but excessive length will degrade the quality of the signal.

S-video cable

The S-video standard is not well supported by most UK digital TV boxes, and very few have a S-video socket. If you need one for a particular analogue camcorder, use it, but avoid S-video with digital television. If you are using what appears to be a monochrome picture from a SCART lead, it will certainly by an incomplete S-Video signal and you should change to the RGB input.

VGA cable

This is the cable you will use to connect a computer to a old style monitor, and some modern LCD screen too. Most modern LCD TVs will have a VGA input too.

If you want to connect a set-top box to a LCD monitor, you can buy a conversion box from around 60. However this will not result in a better picture than using an existing SCART socket if there is one.

The only way to get higher than normal television resolution is to use a VGA in conjunction with a personal computer or modern games console.

DVI cable

If you want to get the very best out of a television or monitor use a digital video interconnect (DVI) cable.

This will be the only way for most televisions and monitors to receive high-definition pictures from a computer, and some set-top boxes.

If you can use either a VGA cable or a DVI cable, choose the DVI option.

HDMI cable

If you want to get the very best out of a television use a HDMI cable.

This will be the only way for most televisions to receive high-definition pictures from set-top boxes.

Help with Television sets?
Why are all TVs on sale not digital?1
Do I still have to pay for a TV licence?2
I had perfect channel 5 reception - until I got a digital TV box!3
I Have a Pocket Tv For taking out so I can keep up with news and sport. Will thi4
The pictures from my digital box are all green!5
In this section
Loft aerials1
Do I need to buy a booster?2
How to receive Freeview on your PC3
Indoor aerials4
Whole house digital TV5
Now and Next6

Friday, 15 April 2011
9:41 PM

Connections are a nightmare!

I have a Samsung HD TV, into which goes via a Pioneer Analogue DVD Recorder... a COMAG HD FTA Sat receiver, A BT Vision box, and a SKY HD box, wires all over the place, plus an RF modulator for the COMAG so that I can feed the TV upstairs via the 2nd RF on the SKY box !

link to this comment
Steve's 13 posts EU flag
Steve's: mapS's Freeview map terrainS's terrain plot wavesS's frequency data S's Freeview Detailed Coverage
Saturday, 16 April 2011
12:20 PM

I have a Samsung 3D tv connected to a blu ray player via HDMI cable and a Sky HD box to the tv. I want to connect a DVD recorder to this so that I can record from the sky box.
The sky player has one scart and both the DVD recorder and tv have 2. I am unable to get the DVD recorder to either play or record even though I have tried all possible scart connections. Any help appreciated

link to this comment
Mike's 1 post GB flag
David Sinnett
6:26 PM

Spent time today working out how the cabling would go for the DVD and VCR and have now found that I get more channels from the freeview box with the cables through the other bits than direct into the tele!
Right now its satisfactory. (52.1352,-0.4803) 

link to this comment
David Sinnett's 2 posts GB flag
7:01 PM

Hi, I've just bought my daughter a new Technika 19in with Freeview. She already has a Sky box.
Do I need to tune it in or do I just need to connect the SCART, turn it on and then select SCART from the TV's input menu ? Thanks very much.

link to this comment
Sam's 1 post GB flag
Sunday, 17 April 2011

8:31 AM

Sam: Yes, just the SCART.

link to this comment
Briantist's 38,905 posts GB flag
Monday, 18 April 2011
Jonty Wickham
5:56 PM

I have a old Sony tv,with 2 scarts, I want to connect a HD+ box, a VCR,and a separate DVD player.I purchased a scart adapter with 3 connections. Any ideas please?, Jonty

link to this comment
Jonty Wickham's 1 post GB flag
Tuesday, 19 April 2011
ian, notts

9:53 PM

connect the dvd to the hd box an use them both thro same scart on tv, or dvd an video? or just sling the video?

link to this comment
ian, notts's 253 posts GB flag
Wednesday, 20 April 2011
9:27 PM

help please, I have a Samsung HD tv With built in freeview no problem, I also have aSamsung video dvd combo. If i put digi box direct to the video combo will it allow me to record HD and play it on my tv. or is there an easyer method

link to this comment
Stevechidlow's 1 post GB flag
Thursday, 21 April 2011

4:25 AM

Stevechidlow: If you want to record Freeview HD, you need a Freeview+HD box. You can't normally record from a TV.

link to this comment
Briantist's 38,905 posts GB flag
Tuesday, 26 April 2011
10:12 PM

How do I get a pdp503mxe plasma screen with vga connection to show digital/analogue tv/video pictures (no scart connections available)

I know it supports wide range of computer signal formats
Supports non-compressed display of signals ranging from
640x400 and 640x480 (VGA) to 1024x768 (XGA) and 1280x768,
and compressed display of 1280x1024 (SXGA) and 1600x1200
(UXGA) signals. Further, aspect ratio and screen size settings
supported include Dot-by-Dot, 4:3, FULL and PARTIAL*1.
*1 Aspect ratio and screen size appearance will differ depending
on input signal.

link to this comment
Kwesi's 1 post GB flag
Select more comments

Your comment please
Please post a question, answer or commentUK Free TV is here to help people. If you are rude or disrespectful all of your posts will be deleted and you will be banned.

Privacy policy: UK Free Privacy policy.