Seeing something different? We are doing A/B testing on a new Material Design

The recent survey pointed out that mobile users were unhappy with some of the aspects of the UK Free design. To address these issues, I have created a new mobile-first design to the site. This is being shown to half of the people using the site to find out how effective the changes are.

The future  Photograph: Brian Butterworth
The future Photograph: Brian Butterworth

Mobile first

I have created a new "mobile first" design for UK Free TV.     To do this I have used the Material Design concepts -  outlined here - which anyone who Android "Lollipop" or Google Inbox will recognise.

A/B Testing

To allow for the changes to be tested against the existing site, A/B testing is being used.  This means that 50% of users will get the new design and 50% the old one.

Where is the menu?

Use the "hamburger" icon at the top-left right of the page to show the menu.  It will "pop out" from the left-hand side of the page.

Where are all the updates?

All the "live updates" that were located in the right hand column of the old design are now a new system that starts as the top "sheet" on each page.   You click on the combined bar and it expands to show all the updates.   You can click on a coloured section to show all the items for that section.

If you wish to close back to the single line, click in the dark grey "border".

Problems?

If you spot any problems, please let me know below.

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?2
Please share your thoughts about UK FREE TV1
The next 50 things on UK FREE TV. What would you like to see? 2
UK Free TV now uses friendly web addresses3
Best ever emails and improved menus on UK FREE TV4
Use the Knowledge base to find answers to your technical problems5
Being responsive: a better layout 6

Comments
Wednesday, 22 March 2017
StevensOnln1

Katie: I've been seeing the same for the last few days on all the maps I've looked at, so something appears to have broken on the site. Hopefully Briantist can find the cause and get the maps working again.

StevensOnln1's 737 posts Gold Gold GB

StevensOnln1 and Katie:

I don't get that problem at all, the green coverage overlay is still showing as before. I use a laptop running Windows 8.1.

MikeP's 1,490 posts Gold Gold GB
StevensOnln1

MikeP: I get an overlay if I select a transmitter on a map such as Freeview HD extended service from 2014 (com7) which shows multiple transmitters, but if I click through to a transmitter page such as Which Freeview channels does the Sutton Coldfield transmitter broadcast? I get the transmitter icon in the centre of the map but with no overlays and the box to select which multiplex to show the overlay for is not shown at the top left of the map. I'm seeing the same results in Firefox 52 on Linux, Firefox 52 on Windows 7 and IE11 on Windows 7.

StevensOnln1's 737 posts Gold Gold GB
Thursday, 23 March 2017
Jim Johnson

StevensOnln1:
I use a Mac OS X (El Capitan) version 10.11.6 and I am experiencing exactly the same as you. I've tried browsers Safari, Firefox and Chrome and they all produce the same results.

Jim Johnson's 28 posts Bronze Bronze GB

I've just tried Opera, Chrome, IE11 and FF in W8.1 and all seem OK to me with the expected overlays. Seems odd that it differes unless we are being provided with different versions. Briantist does say he is testing.

MikeP's 1,490 posts Gold Gold GB
Friday, 24 March 2017
11:57 AM South Molton

Briantist:

Found a problem with the prediction page. My brother has just moved to an EX36 3DY - but the prediction suggests he is served by Emley Moor in Yorkshire whereas he is in North Devon!! Please can you correct whatever is causing that major error?

I've also found that some of the coverage mapping does not show the green covergae areas, as others have said above. For me it's a bit irregular and I haven't found and rationale to explain it yet.

MikeP's 1,490 posts Gold Gold GB
MikeP's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Tuesday, 4 April 2017
K
Katie

StevensOnln1: I hadn't checked for a few days but it seems to be working as expected again now. :)
Thanks for confirming I wasn't going mad!!

Katie's 2 posts GB
StevensOnln1

Katie: Transmitter maps do indeed seem to be working again for Freeview, however radio maps are still broken.

StevensOnln1's 737 posts Gold Gold GB