Menu buttonMENU    UK Free TV logo Freeview

The Wrekin overnight 18th-20th January tests will affect Sutton Coldfield

Each main Freeview transmitter, prior to actual switchover, requires a full-power overnight tests. This will happen at The Wrekin for three nights, taking the analogue services off air. However, as three of the signals conflict with the pre-switchover Sutton Coldfield transmission, these tests will also take Multiplexes 1, 2 and A off air in Birmingham overnight.

Each main Freeview transmitter, prior to actual switchover, req

An essential part of the tests on the new aerials at The Wrekin transmitter - so they will function correctly on switchover day, 20th April 2011 - full power overnight testing is done.

During the test, all the existing Freeview services will remain on air.

However, the analogue services will be switched off as follows:

Tuesday 18th January: BBC ONE, BBC TWO from 0020 (plus ITV1, Channel 4 and FIVE).

Wednesday 19th January: BBC ONE from 0110, BBC TWO from 0010 (plus ITV1, Channel 4 and FIVE).

Thursday 20th January: BBC ONE from 0150, BBC TWO from 0010 (plus ITV1, Channel 4 and FIVE).

Because the commercial multiplexes will use C41, C44 and C47 at The Wrekin after switchover (and hence, during these tests) this will clash with Freeview multiplexes 1, 2 and A on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

This means that many Sutton Coldfield Freeview users will not have usable service overnight during the testing period.

Help with Freeview, aerials?
I have now lost all signal can you tell me what the problem might be?2
My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do? Is it my SCART ca3
Is it possible to receive freeview cahnnels via a broadband internet connectio4
What is the Inversion Effect and why does it effect my Freeview TV reception? 5
Should the UK close down the TV networks to allow for more mobile broadband? 1
UK Digital switchover ends - Northern Ireland completes on 24th October 20122
The last day of analogue television in the UK - goodbye PAL3
2 days left of analogue television - goodbye teletext4
3 days of analogue to go - goodbye to NICAM 7285
Changes to Saorview frequencies and power levels, 24th October 20126

Comments
Wednesday, 19 January 2011
Briantist

Also, given that Lark Stoke is at 1.26kW AFTER switchover, it is unlikely to be 6.3 kW before.
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/s….pdf lists it as I have given it, actually at 0.03W because 0.025W won't fit in the page.
Ofcom's publication is the official primary source as far as I am concerned.

Briantist's 38,757 posts Owner Owner GB
Briantist

And, whilst we are at it, here is a 25W energy saving bulb - BioBulb SAD Daylight Bulb 25W=100W ES .

Briantist's 38,757 posts Owner Owner GB
Stuart
8:55 PM Wrexham

Briantist, I already said I am completely well aware that Channel 5 comes from Lichfield and that BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and Chanel 4 come from Sutton Coldfield. You do not need to remind me.

Also, when I said I was receiving BBC1 from Lark Stoke during the hours of The Wrekin analogue shutdown, I did obviously mean I was receiving the ANALOGUE signal of BBC1 off Lark Stoke, not the DIGITAL signal off Lark Stoke.
So this comment was not applicable or relevant:

Stuart: Lark Stoke's pre-switchover digital services at at 25W, about the same as single energy-saving bulb. It is amazing that anyone gets Freeview from there at the moment.

Lark Stoke will be a 1.26kW digital transmitter after switchover, that's 50 times more powerful.

Stuart's 156 posts Silver Silver GB
Stuart's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Thursday, 20 January 2011
Briantist

Stuart: OK. Sorry, I get to talk to a hundreds people a week, I apologise if I lost track.

Briantist's 38,757 posts Owner Owner GB
Mike Dimmick
8:29 AM Reading

Brian: Stuart was clearly talking about analogue, not digital, services. I missed that you were talking about the current low power digital service. The Wrekin tests clash with BBC Two analogue at Lark Stoke, on C26, and ITV1 analogue, on C23 - both 6.3 kW. They don't clash with any current digital services from Lark Stoke.

Unless they're *actually* testing the Single Frequency Networks that will form between The Wrekin, Lark Stoke, and Bromsgrove, in which case I would expect LS to be temporarily broadcasting the same test signals as The Wrekin, at 1.26 kW.

Mike Dimmick's 2,486 posts Platinum Platinum GB
Mike's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Briantist

Mike Dimmick: Yes, I did say I lost track.

They were not testing the SFN.

Briantist's 38,757 posts Owner Owner GB