Can I use my digital freeview box abroad and receive English channals?

Can I use my digital freeview box abroad and receive English channals?

Can I use my digital freeview box abroad and receive English ch

No. You cannot receive signals from UK Freeview transmitters abroad. You box will be able to receive local "DVB-T" transmittions, if there are any.

You can use satellite equipment pointing at the Astra 2D satellite from some European countries however to get around 100 UK free-to-air channels.

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound o2
How can I get Channel 5 on Sky in Ireland?1
Can I receive UK free-to-view TV in Southern Spain?2
Can I pick up Freeview from Germany?3
What do i need to get freeview in spain and how much will it cost?4
I live in Portugal Barcelos. I have a satellite dish (84cm) and would like to b5
Can I take my TV to Australia?6

Comments
Monday, 23 May 2016
A
Alan

Hi we have a French purchased Toshiba tv connected at the moment to a sky satalite dish, but we're wondering if an English freeview box would work.m any thanks

Alan's 1 post GB
Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Alan:

No, it will not work in France. Freeview is transmitted from ground-based transmitters in the UK and the signals do not normally reach any part of France (except perhaps a small area around Calais Port). Further, a Freeview box needs an aerial and not a dish.

MikeP's 1,022 posts Gold Gold GB
Friday, 15 July 2016
skypilot

i have films saved on my freeview box ,is it possible to download the films onto another device , as im moving to switzerland , or can i plug the box in and still watch the films that are saved,

skypilot's 1 post GB
StevensOnln1

skypilot: You should just be able to plug your box in to a TV anywhere to playback previous recordings.

StevensOnln1's 133 posts Silver Silver GB
Thursday, 4 August 2016
C
Clive

I am taking my LG smart TV to Switzerland and am told that I need a Freeview box to received UK channels? Do I need a box specifically for Switzerland? Thank you

Clive's 1 post GB
StevensOnln1

Clive: A Freeview box won't be any use in Switzerland as it can only receive signals from land based transmitters, of which there are none broadcasting UK channels to Switzerland. You might be able to get some UK channels via satellite but you would need to talk to a local satellite installer in the area you are moving to in order to find out if reception of UK channels via satellite is possible there, what size dish would be required and the costs involved. A quick search found the article at the link below which says that some UK channels are available via one of the Swiss cable TV operators, so that may also be an alternative to explore.

StevensOnln1's 133 posts Silver Silver GB
Tuesday, 9 August 2016
David Moffat
9:35 AM Northwich

When I am in Cape Town South Africa I listen to British BBC radio via the app on my Laptop. Is it possible to view British TV via an app as I pay my license fee in UK which covers both TV and Radio?

David Moffat's 2 posts GB
David's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
StevensOnln1

David Moffat: Not by any legal means, BBC iPlayer is only available within the UK. BTW your licence does not cover radio as radio licensing was abolished several decades ago and your TV licence covers you to watch TV at your home address, it does not give you any rights to receive UK channels elsewhere.

StevensOnln1's 133 posts Silver Silver GB