What connections are used from set top box to TV (such as SCART) ?

What connections are used from set top box to TV (such as SCART) ?

What connections are used from set top box to TV (such as SCART

You can use the following ways to connect a set-top box to a TV:

1. SCART on STB to SCART on TV. This provides the best possible connection, with stereo sound and "RGB" highest quality connection;

2. SCART on STB to composite on TV. Older TVs without SCART connections usually have "composite" inputs, usually three "phono" sockets (often red, white and yellow). This offers stereo sound and good picture quality. You will need a special cable from a high-street retailer.

3. UHF ("aerial lead") box to TV. This requires that the STB you choose (all Sky, MOST Freeview) has a UHF output. You will need to "tune" the TV into the box, and you will get OK pictures and only mono sound.

If you are stuck with mono or poor quality sound on the TV, you can still use the SCART output (and the same cable as 2) to a separate amplifier to listen in stereo.

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?2
Are all Widescreen TVs digital?1
If you have several TVs at home do you need separate decoders for each set or is2
My video doesn't work with my digital TV box, help!3
Can I use a Freeview box if there is no SCART connector on my TV?4
My TV is NICAM, does that mean I have digital TV?5
Why has my widescreen TV just made everyone look fat?6

Comments
Monday, 16 February 2015
10:08 PM Dundee

Gerry Chris: If when you say that the new DVD player will not work through the Sky box but does when connected directly into the TV, are you testing the DVD player by simply disconnecting the Sky boxes scart connector "on the TV" (not box) and replacing it with another cable coming from the new DVD player? if you are then try the same test again but placing the TV back onto Freeview first before connecting the DVD into it, making sure that the DVD is switched off first.

Does the TV switch over to the DVD player when you switch it on? if it doesnt then this indicates that pin 8 on either the scart or the new DVD has not been connected, try another scart lead.

jb38's 7,173 posts Platinum Platinum GB
jb38's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Gerry Chris: My reply was given based on the assumption that your DVD player is connected into the Sky boxes VCR scart socket, the Sky boxes output being connected into the TV, and that what you are meaning is that you are unable to get the DVD player to connect into the TV (via the Sky box) even although the Sky box has been placed on standby "before" switching the DVD player on.

If the aforementioned is correct? then that said in the latter paragraph of my previous reply is the most likely reason for your problem, that is unless you are using a variation of the procedure mentioned?

jb38's 7,173 posts Platinum Platinum GB
Tuesday, 22 December 2015
Peter

I want to connect a humax set top, a sky box and Panasonic DVD recorder to lg tv. If somebody could help me please.

Peter's 1 post GB
MikeB

Peter: Ideally, we need the model numbers of the various bits of kit, and how many HDMI's, scarts etc they have.

However, at a guess, I'm assuming your TV has at least 2 HDMI's and a scart. The Sky box (if its not HD) should go via scart into the back of the TV, and thats it. The DVD recorder is likely to have an HDMI, as is the Humax, so use those HDMI ports. The aerial leads goes from the Humax, and then through via the DVD recorder into the back of the TV.

Model numbers would really help.

MikeB's 1,938 posts Gold Gold GB
Saturday, 6 August 2016
L
Lee

Bedroom TV and HDMI free view recorder
Scart lead to free v r does it go in to VCR or TV slot

Lee's 2 posts GB
L
Lee

Small bedroom TV and free view HDMI recorder
Scart lead from TV to FV recorder does it go into slot marked TV
Or slot marked VCR

Lee's 2 posts GB
R
Richard Cooper

Lee: Hi, Lee. I have a Topfield video recorder which provides the Freeview signal to my tv set by a SCART lead. The SCART lead is plugged into the TV SCART connection on the back of the recorder because neither my recorder nor my tv has an HDMI connection. If my recorder and tv had HDMI connections I would have used HDMI instead of SCART because that would have meant I could view HD programmes, which I can't with my current recorder and tv set. Obviously, the aerial fly-lead gives the recorder a Freeview signal, with that being fed by the SCART lead to give the tv its video and audio. Hope this will assist you, Richard. PS I am sorry that I didn't respond to your posting nearer to the time you sent it, but I didn't get UKFREE.TV up on my laptop until 8 a.m.'ish.

Richard Cooper's 440 posts Gold Gold GB
MikeB

lee: If the recorder has HDMI, and the TV has HDMI....just use HDMI. And the loop the aerial through via the recorder to the TV.

MikeB's 1,938 posts Gold Gold GB