Being responsive: a better layout
As you can see from this graph, the number of people using UK Free TV from mobile and tablet devices has risen again.
To better server these users, UK Free TV is now a "responsive" web site. This means that the HTML code for the site adapts to make the site look better depending on the device.
This is done by the browser software on the phone or tablet, without the web server having to provide a different site. This means that the old "mobile site" at m.ukfree.tv has closed and the users are divered to the new responsive site.
This means that mobile users will find that the content of the site fits better on the screen of their device: the "live updates" appear at the end of each page for mobile users, not to the left as desktop people do.
The end of each mobile page looks like:
Please let me know if you have any extra requirements, and I will see what I can do.
8:56 PM Trowbridge
Tonight I have had unusal problem trying to view several pages on your site. It appears to be related to some 'rogue' code that appears above any content that does display. The code is:
Could you investigate please?
|link to this|
MikeP's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
A big apology to anyone who had problems tonight.
The code was copied over earlier in the day from the "staging server" but there was problem with the configuration of the software.
Everything on the site gets pushed though a central "cache" system. This uses the server's hard dish file system to store all the elements that make up the page.
Anything that has to be taken from a database or computed uses the cache system.
To make the site easier to manage, I changed the cache system to use a new folder that is outside the web-server file system. Before there were several different cache structures for different parts of the system: now there is only one.
The development system I use is Windows, but the main UK Free TV server is one flavour of Linux and the test environment a different Linux system.
What worked on the dev and testing servers didn't work as expected on the live system and sadly blocked pages for a short while.
I've fixed it all now and New Relic is showing "no errors on any server" for the last hour.
I've also fixed the problem with Your comments | ukfree.tv - 12 years of independent, free digital TV advice so it now shows everyone's pictures again!
|link to this|