Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Free

Yes, but only "sort of".

Freeview is the name of the (BBC-backed) digital TV system that uses hilltop transmitters to rooftop aerials. It is run separately from the "Sky" satellite-to-dish service. free-to-VIEW is a term for satellite channels that need a viewing card to watch, but not to collect a subscription. free-to-AIR channels are ones that can be received without needing a viewing card or subscription.

The free-to-AIR satelite service backed by the BBC and ITV is called Freesat. The free-to-VIEW service operated by Sky is called fSfS or Freesat from Sky.

As long as you have finished your first year, you can leave Sky when you want. To do this just give Sky a call and tell them you don't want to subscribe any more.

If you stop subscribing you will be able to watch the hundred or so free-to-air channels listed on free channels list. This service is called Freesat from Sky (fSfS).

Some of the channels on the Freeview service are subscription only on satellite, specifically: 4Music, Challenge, Dave, Dave ja vu, Quest, VIVA and Yesterday . See these links to compare the TV channels on Freesat-from-Sky and Freeview, and to compare radio stations on Freeview and fSfS. Many homes have free satellite and Freeview to get the full range of channels.

You will still need to keep your Sky viewing card. If you stop subscribing on a Sky contract, you can keep using that card to watch 5USA, 5* and PICK TV, the so-called "free-to-view" channels. (All ITV channels are free-to-air).

It is not possible to plug an aerial into a Sky Digibox to receive Freeview channels because the boxes have not been designed this way.

You will continue to get the full Sky EPG listings; you just will not be able to watch subscription channels.

If you want to go for High Definition, HD, you can swap out your Sky box for a Freesat one very easily.

A card is not needed to watch BBC services, but it is needed to get the correct BBC ONE and BBC TWO regions on 101 and 102.

Another option is to disconnect your Sky Digibox altogether and Upgrade from Sky to Freesat - ukfree.tv. If you have an HD-Ready TV and a standard Sky box, this is a good option.

Why are some channels free on Freeview but paid-for on satellite?1
Are digital TV pictures better?2
How much less interference is there on digital TV?3
I currently have an NTL cable line for TV. Will I be able to use this to receive4
Can I use a ex-Sky box to receive aerial Freeview?5
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels1
What can I do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' or 'Technical fau2
I have a Panasonic TV with integrated Freeview how can I record Freeview channel3
I have split the signal from my satellite dish and now nothing works.6

Comments
Monday, 6 November 2017
Dave Marks

I am going to cancel my Sky subscription and would like know if i can still use the dish after cancellation by connecting dish directly to the tv

Dave Marks's 1 post GB
MikeB

Dave Marks: Read the previous comments - unless the TV has a sat. tuner as well, no.

MikeB's 2,374 posts Platinum Platinum GB

Dave Marks:

Terrestrial TV, such as Freeview, comes from ground based transmitters and uses a UHF aerial to receive the signals. Satellite based TV comes from an Astra satellite in a geo-stationary orbit above the Equator, roughly over Eqst Africa, and uses a dish to receive the Ku band signals.

To watch Freeview you can use a UHFD aerial mounted correctly for your intended transmitter (there are over 1000 of them!) and fed into the normal coaxial aerial socket of the TV.

To watch Freesat yoiu can use your existing dish as the same satellite as used by Sky is used by Freesat. But you need either a separate set top box or a TV with a satellite receiver built in. If your TV has one it will have a screw-on 'F' connector for the satellite downlead to feed the signals into the satellite tuner.

A dish cannot be used to receive Freeview at all, nor any other terrestrial signals.

MikeP's 1,747 posts Gold Gold GB
Friday, 8 December 2017
Jeanne Lane

Seems to be a tad complicated to me! I'm afraid I'm a technophobe so not sure what to do!

Jeanne Lane's 1 post GB

Jeanne Lane:

What is it that you want to do? If you tell us in clear terms we can maybe offer some advice that you can use - avoiding where possible the technical terms.

MikeP's 1,747 posts Gold Gold GB
Thursday, 14 December 2017
justin gill

Hi i 'm moving into in a tower block of flats with communal satelite dish on roof with sat 1 sat 2 connections in flat
please does anyone know is sky tv and freesat the only things that can be connected to a communal satelite dish, ive been lookung online and read about both,ive only ever had freeview tv so don't really have a clue,and prvious owner of flat was elderly lady and she wasnt sure, ive seen things like now tv advertised so just wanted a bit of advice if possible many thanks

justin gill's 1 post GB

justin gill:

Only satellite receivers can be connected to a communal satelite system. I'm surpised that there isn't a communal terrestrial aerial system feeding all the flats, that is the norm unless the location cannot receive any terrestrial signals at all. Check with your landlord whether there is such a system fitted and where the aerial outlet socket (coaxial socket) is in your flat.

MikeP's 1,747 posts Gold Gold GB
StevensOnln1

justin gill: Now TV is an internet streaming service that enables you to view programmes from various channels and catchup providers either using an app available on some LG and Samsung smart TV models, media players (e.g. Roku, Amazon Fire TV/Firestick/Apple TV, Google Chromecast, etc), games consoles, mobile/PC apps, or a set top box (the latest Now TV box also has a DVB-T2 tuner which can be connected to an aerial to receive SD & HD Freeview channels via the same box).

StevensOnln1's 1,152 posts Gold Gold GB