Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Free

Yes, but only "sort of".

Freeview is the name of the (BBC-backed) digital TV system that uses hilltop transmitters to rooftop aerials. It is run separately from the "Sky" satellite-to-dish service. free-to-VIEW is a term for satellite channels that need a viewing card to watch, but not to collect a subscription. free-to-AIR channels are ones that can be received without needing a viewing card or subscription.

The free-to-AIR satelite service backed by the BBC and ITV is called Freesat. The free-to-VIEW service operated by Sky is called fSfS or Freesat from Sky.

As long as you have finished your first year, you can leave Sky when you want. To do this just give Sky a call and tell them you don't want to subscribe any more.

If you stop subscribing you will be able to watch the hundred or so free-to-air channels listed on free channels list. This service is called Freesat from Sky (fSfS).

Some of the channels on the Freeview service are subscription only on satellite, specifically: 4Music, Challenge, Dave, Dave ja vu, Quest, VIVA and Yesterday . See these links to compare the TV channels on Freesat-from-Sky and Freeview, and to compare radio stations on Freeview and fSfS. Many homes have free satellite and Freeview to get the full range of channels.

You will still need to keep your Sky viewing card. If you stop subscribing on a Sky contract, you can keep using that card to watch 5USA, 5* and PICK TV, the so-called "free-to-view" channels. (All ITV channels are free-to-air).

It is not possible to plug an aerial into a Sky Digibox to receive Freeview channels because the boxes have not been designed this way.

You will continue to get the full Sky EPG listings; you just will not be able to watch subscription channels.

If you want to go for High Definition, HD, you can swap out your Sky box for a Freesat one very easily.

A card is not needed to watch BBC services, but it is needed to get the correct BBC ONE and BBC TWO regions on 101 and 102.

Another option is to disconnect your Sky Digibox altogether and Upgrade from Sky to Freesat - ukfree.tv. If you have an HD-Ready TV and a standard Sky box, this is a good option.

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound o2
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels1
What can I do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' or 'Technical fau2
I have a Panasonic TV with integrated Freeview how can I record Freeview channel3
I have split the signal from my satellite dish and now nothing works.6

Comments
Tuesday, 19 July 2016
paul rhodes

I have had no signal now for 2 months due to trees in the property next door. Next door was a pub which is going through planning to be built in to homes sky protect have sent an engineer round andso have my landlords with it being a communial dish. I have spoken to sky about my bills but they will not reduce them paying at moment ?110 a mouth due to having sky+ phone line and broadband. What can i do next as im still under my contract to them. Many thanks paul rhodes

paul rhodes's 1 post GB
StevensOnln1

paul rhodes: If you are using a communal dish, presumably everyone use who uses Sky or Freesat in the building is also affected. You'll have to keep raising the issue with your landlord/agent until they get the dish repositioned to a location where the trees are not blocking the signal. Sky won't be able to do much about the lack of signal as they don't own either the dish or the offending trees.

StevensOnln1's 134 posts Silver Silver GB
Friday, 5 August 2016
A
Andrew

If i put in freesat upstairs, will i have to pay sky multiroom

Andrew's 1 post GB
StevensOnln1

Andrew: No, there is no subscription charge for Freesat (hence the name) and it has nothing to do with Sky

StevensOnln1's 134 posts Silver Silver GB
Friday, 2 September 2016
Michael

I want the best of all worlds. I want to rid myself of sky and all other costs.
I simply want a free view or whatever recommended box that I can watch as much free to as possible that I can record when I want and can be plugged into an existing sky dish OR an existing tv aerial. We move about a lot. Can anyone recommend a suitable box as I have not got a clue trying to sift thro all the technical.

Michael's 1 post GB

Michael: Sky dish systems are 100% compatible for use with Freesat receivers, if however your Sky box is a Sky+ model (two inputs from dish) then any twin tuner Freesat recorder can be used, although in the interests of reliability I would advise you to look along the Humax range of boxes.

If though your Sky box is not of the Sky+ variety? then your dish will most likely be fitted with an old single output LNB, this will require updating to a quad 4 output model and with a second cable run from same to where the box is sited, although if the coax has been in use for a number of years? its best to scrap it and run a new twin coax lead, known by the name of shotgun cable.

By the way, quad output LNB's can be purchased for around ?10.00 or so from a number of e-bay sources, likewise shotgun type satellite cable.

jb38's 7,135 posts Platinum Platinum GB
Saturday, 3 September 2016
Mark A

Re: jb38
Why a quad LNB and not a dual LNB?
One signal to watch live TV and the second one to record from at the same time.
If you share your dish with your neighbours, then use a quid one.

Mark A's 336 posts Gold Gold GB

Mark A: Yes, a dual LNB would be suffice for Michael's immediate requirements, but though my reason for recommending a quad LNB was purely because the price difference between it and the older twin output type is only around ?1.00 or so, and the sheer convenience / advantage of having two extra ports as spares outweighs the fractional difference in price between the two.

The advantage referred to being, (1): as a back up against any possible failures of one of the two ports on the standard twin output block, or (2): providing an input for any other satellite devices that may be purchased in the future.

jb38's 7,135 posts Platinum Platinum GB