Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Free

Yes, but only "sort of".

Freeview is the name of the (BBC-backed) digital TV system that uses hilltop transmitters to rooftop aerials. It is run separately from the "Sky" satellite-to-dish service. free-to-VIEW is a term for satellite channels that need a viewing card to watch, but not to collect a subscription. free-to-AIR channels are ones that can be received without needing a viewing card or subscription.

The free-to-AIR satelite service backed by the BBC and ITV is called Freesat. The free-to-VIEW service operated by Sky is called fSfS or Freesat from Sky.

As long as you have finished your first year, you can leave Sky when you want. To do this just give Sky a call and tell them you don't want to subscribe any more.

If you stop subscribing you will be able to watch the hundred or so free-to-air channels listed on free channels list. This service is called Freesat from Sky (fSfS).

Some of the channels on the Freeview service are subscription only on satellite, specifically: 4Music, Challenge, Dave, Dave ja vu, Quest, VIVA and Yesterday . See these links to compare the TV channels on Freesat-from-Sky and Freeview, and to compare radio stations on Freeview and fSfS. Many homes have free satellite and Freeview to get the full range of channels.

You will still need to keep your Sky viewing card. If you stop subscribing on a Sky contract, you can keep using that card to watch 5USA, 5* and PICK TV, the so-called "free-to-view" channels. (All ITV channels are free-to-air).

It is not possible to plug an aerial into a Sky Digibox to receive Freeview channels because the boxes have not been designed this way.

You will continue to get the full Sky EPG listings; you just will not be able to watch subscription channels.

If you want to go for High Definition, HD, you can swap out your Sky box for a Freesat one very easily.

A card is not needed to watch BBC services, but it is needed to get the correct BBC ONE and BBC TWO regions on 101 and 102.

Another option is to disconnect your Sky Digibox altogether and Upgrade from Sky to Freesat - ukfree.tv. If you have an HD-Ready TV and a standard Sky box, this is a good option.

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?2
I have now lost all signal can you tell me what the problem might be?5
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels1
What can I do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' or 'Technical fau2
I have a Panasonic TV with integrated Freeview how can I record Freeview channel3
I have split the signal from my satellite dish and now nothing works.6

Comments
Tuesday, 8 August 2017
A
Anne

I am thinking of cancelling my sky subscription, buying a free sat box that records shows, and subscribing to Now TV in order to get Sky Sports and Sky Atlantic. Will I be able to use my Freesat box to record the Sky Shows?

Anne's 1 post GB
StevensOnln1

Anne: It isn't possible to record from Now TV whether you are using a Freesat box or any other recording device. Programs from the entertainment and movie channels can generally be viewed on catchup after they have been broadcast, however there is unfortunately no catchup service for any of the Sky Sports channels on Now TV.

StevensOnln1's 868 posts Gold Gold GB
Wednesday, 6 September 2017
John

i have a just bought a smart tv with freeview and freesat build in. I am unable to put up an outside areil or dish. Can I use an indoor aerial to receive these services?

John's 1 post US
StevensOnln1

John: You might be able to receive Freeview with an indoor aerial if you're in an area with reasonably strong signal. The best type of indoor aerials are ones that look like a smaller version of a roof aerial, avoid anything with a loop or flat panel design as these generally consist of little more than a piece of wire sticking out of an amplifier. If you enter your postcode into this website you will be able to access the coverage prediction for your location. Reception of Freesat requires a satellite dish with a clear view of the 28E orbital position, it is not possible to receive a satellite signal with any kind of indoor aerial.

StevensOnln1's 868 posts Gold Gold GB
Sunday, 10 September 2017
H
her run ebon

I have a Samsung 28 inchtv when I put channels 12 13141516 thechannels
Come on for about 20 seconds then the picture goes off the then repeats all
Over again. I have retuned it over and over still no joy
Any suggestions please

her run ebon's 1 post GB

'her run ebon':

Assuming you are meaning that those are Freeview channels (and not Sky or Freesat), then that rather sounds like a fault in the set. But first, check all the aerial cables at the back of the TV set to ensure there are no damaged sections and that all the connections are in good condition (unplugging and plugging back in often helps).

Then check, on your TV, the reported signal strengths of the channels experiencing the problem, your TV User Manual will tell you how to do that. The reported strengths should be between 50% and 85% for the SD channels and between 60% and 85% for the HD channels. If they are lower than that then you need to investigate why, but as you have not given a full post code, we have no means of checking what reception conditions are at your location. If the strengths are greater than 85% then you have too much signal and that is causing the problem. To reduce the signal strength you can fit an attenuator or turn down the gain of any amplifier fitted in the aerial system.

If none of that applies after checking, then you need an engineer to look at the TV and aerial system.

MikeP's 1,578 posts Gold Gold GB
Sunday, 17 September 2017
A
Andy Roberts

Hi.
I want to receive UK freeview TV here in Germany.
I have a satellite dish fitted but can't find any UK channels. (it's pointing in the right direction apparently)
Do I need a special freeview box/reciever to help?
Cheers.