Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Free

Yes, but only "sort of".

Freeview is the name of the (BBC-backed) digital TV system that uses hilltop transmitters to rooftop aerials. It is run separately from the "Sky" satellite-to-dish service. free-to-VIEW is a term for satellite channels that need a viewing card to watch, but not to collect a subscription. free-to-AIR channels are ones that can be received without needing a viewing card or subscription.

The free-to-AIR satelite service backed by the BBC and ITV is called Freesat. The free-to-VIEW service operated by Sky is called fSfS or Freesat from Sky.

As long as you have finished your first year, you can leave Sky when you want. To do this just give Sky a call and tell them you don't want to subscribe any more.

If you stop subscribing you will be able to watch the hundred or so free-to-air channels listed on free channels list. This service is called Freesat from Sky (fSfS).

Some of the channels on the Freeview service are subscription only on satellite, specifically: 4Music, Challenge, Dave, Dave ja vu, Quest, VIVA and Yesterday . See these links to compare the TV channels on Freesat-from-Sky and Freeview, and to compare radio stations on Freeview and fSfS. Many homes have free satellite and Freeview to get the full range of channels.

You will still need to keep your Sky viewing card. If you stop subscribing on a Sky contract, you can keep using that card to watch 5USA, 5* and PICK TV, the so-called "free-to-view" channels. (All ITV channels are free-to-air).

It is not possible to plug an aerial into a Sky Digibox to receive Freeview channels because the boxes have not been designed this way.

You will continue to get the full Sky EPG listings; you just will not be able to watch subscription channels.

If you want to go for High Definition, HD, you can swap out your Sky box for a Freesat one very easily.

A card is not needed to watch BBC services, but it is needed to get the correct BBC ONE and BBC TWO regions on 101 and 102.

Another option is to disconnect your Sky Digibox altogether and Upgrade from Sky to Freesat - ukfree.tv. If you have an HD-Ready TV and a standard Sky box, this is a good option.

Can I stop paying Sky and use my satellite receiver to get Freeview ?2
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels1
What can I do when my Sky Digibox says 'No Signal' or 'Technical fau2
I have a Panasonic TV with integrated Freeview how can I record Freeview channel3
I have split the signal from my satellite dish and now nothing works.6

Comments
Thursday, 6 October 2016
E
Eileen

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply, so as we don't have a normal TV aerial, we would need to purchase one form BT which they can do along with a BT engineer to fit it will cost ?60, is that worth doing & would we then be able to pause & rewind?

Eileen's 3 posts GB
StevensOnln1

Eileen: I highly doubt that a BT engineer would install a TV aerial for you. You will be able to pause and record if you take one of BT's Youview+ boxes.

StevensOnln1's 259 posts Silver Silver GB
E
Eileen

Thanks again Steve,
BT informed me yesterday that to go with them for TV we would need an outside aerial & that they would send an engineer out who would install & aerial for ?60???
I think i need to call them again & make sure us & them know what we're talking about!!!
But your comments are helpfull

Eileen's 3 posts GB
MikeB

Eileen: A quick google shows that BT ('partnered with TSG'!) does install aerials
About the Aerial installation service from Total Support Group (TSG) | Help | BT.com Help

and if they are going to do it for 60 pounds, thats actually a very good deal. If it all goes wrong, then you can at least complain to BT (OK, I've had dealings with BT, so dont get your hopes up), and at least there seems to be a years 'parts' warrenty.

Since it sounds like you've only got a dish at present (which you can carry on using with Freesat), a new aerial would give you a lot of flexibility, since all TV's now should have Freeview installed as standard. The BT box will work in much the same way as a Sky one does, and will allow you to get Iplayer, etc.

MikeB's 1,941 posts Gold Gold GB
Tuesday, 18 October 2016
Dancy

Yes I believe it will!

Dancy's 4 posts GB
Wednesday, 26 October 2016
A
Alan hutchinson

Hi.i used to have sky but canceled it. I use the sky dish to use 2 tvs.as I have no outside Aerial.If I get a second sky dish fitted can I get another tv signal instead of getting an outside aerial fitted as I want to use another 2 tvs in the bedrooms .thanks

Alan hutchinson's 1 post GB

Alan Hutchinson:

It would require planning permission to have a second dish installed on your property! That would attract a significant fee for the planners to consider the application! And no guarantee that they will grant such permission.

Better and cheaper is to have a quad or octal LNB fitted in place of your existing one, assuming it isn't already a quad or octal. The advantage being that such LNBs are less than ?20 usually (cables are extra) and each outlet can feed a receiver separately. Note that most satellite receivers that can record as well will need two cables fed from the LNB on the dish. Note also that a dish is no use to receive Freeview and cannot be fed into the conventional coaxial aerial socket on the back of a TV set, it has to be fed into a satellite receiving input (usually an 'F' connector). Some TV sets have that capability, otherwise you can use a set top box(es) for Freesat.

MikeP's 1,148 posts Gold Gold GB
Monday, 21 November 2016
Jerrymig

Fighting With Your Values and Declaration Your Optimal Procedure

I recently caused a bloke who had a summon with defining his values. As it is with most of people, the customer had conflict with balancing Well off and Moment in his life. Specifically, your customer spends hours practical in regulation to have ample supply readies, while, on the reverse side he does not beget enough everything to get out with loved ones.

[url=http://myfastingdiet.tk]http://myfastingdiet.tk[/url]

I attempted to beg a tally of specific questions like, "How dream of would you splash out with your household every week? To which he responded, "I would like to disburse more duration with my loved ones, as an instance, inside the afternoon, the outstanding can of worms is that by that era I would not have worked, so, I would not can retaliate due to the fact that." Then I asked the customer extra, "How much cabbage does unified need to be happy?" The shopper replied at hand saying, "I am satisfied with amount $X, but earning which a month want technique no point representing whatever else and definitely damn near no tempo to socialize with loved ones."

I tried become your shopper to set aside an optimal substitute that last will and testament assistance him compromise how much money he would receive so as to smoke more hours to swear to his loved ones, but the patron could not favour to that. I.e., your patron had not been well-disposed to forgoing a small % of his income to be superior to spend more hours with loved ones. After that, unfortunately, I had to stop the relationship.

The optimal procedure can be, for the benefit of happened, earning 5-10% less money and order use of plenty point, that you would partake of done for earning that amount, with loved ones or household. In whatever way, failing to position the blame standard operating procedure of ponder might happen to frustrations in what compel assault to be Loops of compromises. Pilfer before through of example, forfeiting a infrequent bucks (chance) each week and spending some occasion with m,nage members. Within a while, you thinks fitting donrrrt you secure adequate filthy lucre; hence, you inclination possess to forfeit span burned-out with loved ones to operate. This answer repeats itself many a time.

Don't many of us bring someone round caught at strategies such as this one? It might not willy-nilly be linked to filthy lucre and culture granting the layout is very much common-giving complete reaction heed and neglecting the other. After ignoring the other passion, we are motivated to do this and make up for the mystified sooner, which again leads us to ignoring the cardinal thing.

In this type of plight, it would not be simple to hit upon an optimal policy that capacity untangle bind and off the recurrence in the frustrations because of the " Loop'. In essence, you requirement to turn up strategies to stunning a weight between your two without centering on one with the excise of the other. This is not like saying putting one predilection in advance of another (profession in the past a family group and the other approach for everyone). I at worst affirm that you work value judgment in order to espy how you can optimize both without plunging in the 'Coil'.

Seek from yourself: What is a fraction more important: X or Y? You liking on numerous occasions learn that both are of tack notable but a particular is a lot more important than another. Assign yourself a reputable answer. If it seems that Y is much more important than X, upon the following dubiousness: What is the lowest labour predetermined to gratify X?

The end is to go for the conservative relationship of X and Y and when you have defined the suitable proportion, your last mystery must be: has got the viewpoint ratio of activities X and Y been satisfied? If the act is NO, you be compelled customize the parameters (the partnership between X and Y). If the act is yes, congratulations, there is a optimal design and of course less frustration reversed the expected!

N.B Exact only joined bow and you've got finally behove your speculator self!

Copyright (c) 2013 Sasha TenodiArticle Beginning: Tenodi, prof is a speaker/author as opulently as a trainer/consultant. You can find Diurnal inputs inasmuch as your improve self at beyourbetterself.com

Jerrymig's 1 post GB
Wednesday, 23 November 2016
john

i currently have sky multiroom. If i cancel and get freesat would i be able to watch different channels in different rooms or would they be the same.

john's 1 post GB
MikeB

john: You will need a freesat box for each room (or just use the Sky box on 'no card') which attaches to your dish. Some TV will have freesat or at least a generic sat. tuner built into the TV, or you can buy a receiver for less than fifty quid. A humax PVR can easily replace the main Sky box.

MikeB's 1,941 posts Gold Gold GB