My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do? Is it my SCART ca

My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do? Is it my SCART cable?

My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do?

It is a feature of television signals that they can be effected by the weather. Aside from the obvious damaged that can be caused by wind or torrential rain, the onset of summer can cause a more intriguing problem called "inversion".

Basically, when the sun heats up the land, the hot air can get trapped below cold air at high level. This creates an "inversion layer" which acts like a polished mirror to TV signals. This causes two problems: you can receive both the original and a reflected signal from your own transmitter (on analogue TV this appears as "ghosting") or interference from TV transmitters that are normally too far distant.

The ITV/C4 multiplex of channels (ITV-1, ITV-2, ITV-3, ITV-4, CITV, C4, More4, E4, Quizcall) use a transmission "mode" called 64QAM, and it is sadly much more prone to these problems.

So, whilst a loft-mounted aerial will provide reception at some time, it will fail at others. The only real solution is to mount the aerial (or a new Class I aerial) outside on a pole, but some people report that changing the cable from the aerial to the set-top box to the high-grade satellite cable can also help.

The SCART connection, by the way, only carries a single TV picture, not the Freeview transmission multiplexes, so if this is disconnected it will result in degradation to every channel at once.

Can I use my digital freeview box abroad and receive English channals?1
Can I pick up Freeview from Germany?2
What do i need to get freeview in spain and how much will it cost?3
To get UK TV in northern Croatia (Istria) will I have to use SKY ?4
Can I take my TV to Australia?5
I have now lost all signal can you tell me what the problem might be?2
I have a Durabrand cg5660-m and I need the lock key code!3
What is the Inversion Effect and why does it effect my Freeview TV reception? 4
My high gain aerial can't get all the Freeview channels I expected5
What are the aerial types about? Are they high-gain?6

Comments
Tuesday, 19 September 2017
Janey

I've lost my
ITV channels after recent bad weather. I retuned the channels at the time, following the tv prompts but now it looks like that's the problem. What can do please....desperate.

Janey's 1 post GB
StevensOnln1

Janey: Retuning was a bad idea as it will never fix a problem like this as the TV was already correctly tuned. Have you checked for any loose or damaged cables or connections? If the problem started during bad weather it's possible that water has gotten in to your aerial system.

StevensOnln1's 1,879 posts Gold Gold GB
Monday, 25 June 2018
Mike

I live in Wrexham with aerial pointed on Moel Y Parc. Aerial has masthead amplifier then feeding into a 6 way Proception distribution amplifier with 3 tv's connected and a fourth connection to a Humax Fox T2 set top box.
Full output on amplifier is terminated correctly.
The Humax box plus the Philips tv receive all channels correctly.
The other 2 TV's - a TEAC (dixons) and Luxor (asda) receive all channels except Channel 4 and local Made In Wales on ch8, plus I suspect a few others.
The Humax and Philips show signal strength around 40 -50% with quality 100%, other sets have no indicator.
Means we can't watch Channel 4 in bedroom or kitchen !

Previously we used signal from Wrekin (West Midlands) but want Welsh services now, so aerial realigned and all sets retuned.. All Tv's worked correctly delivering all channels from the Wrekin .

Any ideas ? Have swapped outputs on 6way amp to no avail

Mike's 2 posts GB
StevensOnln1

Mike: Please provide a full postcode so that we can see the predicted signal strength at your location. Does your amplifier have a variable gain control? If so, try adjusting it up and down and see if that makes any difference.

StevensOnln1's 1,879 posts Gold Gold GB
Mike
9:05 PM Wrexham

Mike: Post Code LL12 7SH Amplifier does have gain control.
Just checked which channels not received in kitchen - there are 22 spread across more than 1 MUX - Ch nos 7,8,40,45,50,55,56,57,67,68,69,72,74,82,84,86,87,93,94,95,96,97. May be more in higher number channels.
Adjusting amplifier gain not easy - at top of 12ft pole !

Mike's 2 posts GB
Mike's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Tuesday, 26 June 2018

Mike

From the signal strength you report it looks like you need to access the amplifier and turn up the gain. 40% is too low for some TVs with less sensitive tuners. Ideally you want between 60% and 85% strength on all multiplexes.

As StevensOnln1 says, a full post code will help us by showing the expected reception at your location.

MikeP's 2,188 posts Platinum Platinum GB
Friday, 20 July 2018
C
christine

Janey: hi live by the coast near Great Yarmouth and have had freeview aerial man out aye signal is strong but my TV with a Bt box keeps losing Itv3 etc surround sound and HD channels it keeps saying poor signal and so I retune then I loose more channels ! Normally have 152 but down to 109 ! Then next time I tune within A few minutes finds the odd channel have got a new BT box and it still does the same this has only happened since we changed in July and retuned Tv driving me mad

christine's 1 post GB