My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound or the channel line up is wrong

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+

To deal with the problem you must clear the channel list completely and then rescan - if your box has it in the menus, please the 'installation menu' to do an initial scan or a reset to factory settings or First Time Installation. You MUST delete the entire existing list of channels. On most boxes this technique can be also be used:

Try this:

1) unplug your Freeview box (or idTV) from the mains;

2) unplug the aerial from the Freeview box by disconnecting the cable from the 'RF in' socket;

3) wait 30 seconds;

4) plug Freeview box (or idTV) mains back in;

5) do a complete scan for channels - it will fail without the aerial. (This may be in the installation or initialization menu, and is distinct from any 'add channels option'). Once this is done your channel line up should be empty;

6) reinsert aerial by reconnecting to the 'RF in' connection;

7) do a complete scan for channels again.

The Freeview channel line-up provided by six "multiplexes" - each of which carry five or more TV channels, radio channels, text services and EPG data. In this diagram each ROW represents a multiplex. If you are still missing a whole multiplex (ie everything on the row) you may need to replace your aerial with a wideband type, purchase a larger aerial or you may have interference from a VCR, games console, Sky Digibox or similar.

My Freeview box has no EPG, is blank on FIVE, ITV3, ITV4, ITV2+1, has no sound o4
Can I use my ex-contract sky digital satellite receiver to get Freeview channels5
I have now lost all signal can you tell me what the problem might be?1
I have a Durabrand cg5660-m and I need the lock key code!2
What is the Inversion Effect and why does it effect my Freeview TV reception? 3
My ITV/C4 Freeview channels have disappeared - what can I do? Is it my SCART ca4
My high gain aerial can't get all the Freeview channels I expected5
What are the aerial types about? Are they high-gain?6

Comments
Wednesday, 13 April 2016
Scott
11:39 AM Edinburgh

I live in Edinburgh (EH4 1DU). Yesterday (12 April 2016) afternoon I set up a new Humax Youview Box which auto tuned 168 channels and worked perfectly. Around 6pm the box 'lost' all its channels. I re-set and re-tuned the box several times without success. It found no channels. My TV continued to work perfectly. Later around 10pm the TV 'lost' several (all HD & some other) channels.

This morning I reset & retuned the box again. It found 168 channels again. Currently it is working perfecty.
I assume that my signal comes from the Craigkelly transmitter. I have found no mention online of problems with the transmitter. I have never experienced a problem like this before. I initially suspected a hardware problem with my box (it's a 'refurbished box' from Humax Direct), but now think it was a transmission [or reception] problem. My aerial is relatively new - it was installed about 5 years ago, I think.

Why would the TV be OK, only eventually losing some, not all of its channels and the box lose everything? Did anyone in my area experience signal loss last night? Anyone have any ideas?

Scott's 2 posts GB
Scott's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
MikeB

Scott: Firstly, check that the cable is set up correctly - passing through is the easiest way. Obviously if your TV is fine, the the Humax should be fine as well, unless the feed is dodgy in some way.

Next, check that your TV and the Humax are on the same transmitter. It should be excellent on Craigkelly (if anything, too good), and I can't see how the Humax (which often self tune these days, with no manual tuning) could 'miss' that for another transmitter. But alternative possibilities dont make much sense.

There is also the possibility that the Humax is dodgy, and the tuners are duff. But I'd check out the feed and the transmitter first. And it might be worth checking out the signal strength on the TV - if you do have a problem with your system, the TV might be more forgiving than the Humax.

MikeB's 1,746 posts Gold Gold GB
MikeB's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Thursday, 14 April 2016
Phil

This morning I lost all channel 59 programmes from Winter Hill on all three sets in the house.Anybody got any ideas?

Phil's 8 posts US
Friday, 15 April 2016
Phil

Belay the last pipe. It all came back about 9.00pm last night.

Phil's 8 posts GB
Saturday, 16 April 2016
David

I am in a residential complex. in Ashford Kent. All rooms have a TV point. I receive all digital channels on my TV. Bought a BT You View box and could only get 37 . Took back and bought Humax T1800 box now only get 11. Any ideas please am I doing something wrong? have tried a reset but still the same

David's 1 post GB
Monday, 18 April 2016
R
Ron Charlton.

I am 7 miles from the whitehawk transmitter. Most of the time I get good signal strength and quality. Usually 75-80% signal strength, and 100% picture quality. But on certain MPXs, the signal quality will drop to 5-10% and 'No signal' comes up. This happens every day, especially in the evenings. Have done all the checks and experiments, like new coax, substituting different feed methods etc. Nothing makes the slightest difference. Have consulted 'experts' They all say, 'It's your aerial' I don't believe them. If I get perfect reception one minute, then nothing the next, it must be some external influence. What do you say ?

Ron Charlton.'s 1 post GB
MikeB

Ron Charlton.: Put it this way - you are just 7 miles from a transmitter. We dont have a postcode, so we have no idea is that is a clear line of sight, but all things being equal, you should get a very good signal!

75-80% signal strength is fine, but of course your strength will bounce around a bit, depending on all sorts of small factors. Sometimes it will be a bit higher than that, and when tuners are hit with a strength which is too high for it, they can act in much the same way as when its too low. I suspect thats whats happening - check the signal strength on a prone mux and its will float a little, and is perhaps just pushing things too far.

Search for 'too much of a good thing' on this site, and there is a lot of info about it. I've had that problem on HD channels, and an attentuator (variable of series of fixed) will bring it down enough so you dont have the problem. Even a cheap fly lead might be enough!

MikeB's 1,746 posts Gold Gold GB
Sunday, 24 April 2016
Jim Haire

Yesterday The Bbc channels went very scratchy and stuttery I an in Tavistick un Devon.Retuned but no better.Any help would be appreciated

Jim Haire's 1 post GB
Monday, 25 April 2016
11:09 AM Trowbridge

Jim Haire:

You should not retune in those circumstances, you may lose more than you might gain.

To help you we need a full post code, or that of a very closeby shop or post office. Then we can determine the relationship between you and the transmitter and whether there are any possible obstructions that can cause reception difficulties.

MikeP's 837 posts Gold Gold GB
MikeP's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Friday, 29 April 2016
Scott

Just a line to say thanks for the feedback (MikeB in particular!).
The Humax box was dodgy!
They have sent me a replacement - all working normally now!

Scott's 2 posts GB