Menu buttonMENU    UK Free TV logo Freeview

Freeview gains ITV Be, Motors TV channels this week - and Spike next year

We have not reached the top with the Freeview line-up as ITV brings a custom channel to the place the UK loves to watch TV.

Can Freeview just keep getting better?   Photograph: ITV plc
Can Freeview just keep getting better? Photograph: ITV plc

Last night, channel 26 on Freeview (as well as Freesat 118 and Sky 179) started broadcasting ITV new female-fouced channel ITV Be.

Today, Freeview 71 will see Motors TV free-to-air to the whole of the UK to those homes able to receive the COM7 multiplex Freeview HD extra channels.  It had been on channel 240 as an "IPTV" service for those with the right box and connection.

And Viacom will replace Viva (Freeview 21) with "Spike TV" next year[1].

All this on top of CBS Action being live on Freeview 70, CBS Reality on 66, truTV on 68 (and +1 on 69).

[1]  Read this: Viacom to launch Spike TV in UK | News | Broadcast | ukfree.tv - 12 years of independent, free digital TV advice

Help with Television sets?
What connections are used from set top box to TV (such as SCART) ?1
If you have several TVs at home do you need separate decoders for each set or is2
Can I use a Freeview box if there is no SCART connector on my TV?3
My TV is NICAM, does that mean I have digital TV?4
Why has my widescreen TV just made everyone look fat?5
BBC Local Radio on Freeview 1
Will the World Radiocommunication Conference be the death of Freeview?2
New and improved Freeview radiation patterns3
ITV4 now on Freeview Light transmitters: retune needed for all Freeview homes4
What do the ITV changes on February 2nd 2015 at Ridge Hill and Oxford mean?5
Connected Freeview comes a step closer today6

Comments
Sunday, 12 October 2014
K
KMJ,Derby

Watlingfen: Surely it is one of the advantages of cable if you are able to receive East Midlands news, which local hills make difficult on Freeview. Sky too would normally deliver East Midlands as first choice in Leicestershire.

KMJ,Derby's 1,811 posts Gold Gold GB
Monday, 13 October 2014
B
Brian Lens

I have added a Humax player that gives me catch up TV and Freesat can I add a Freeview box to get the extra channels

Brian Lens's 2 posts GB
Syd Wall

As a motorsport fan, I was looking forward to getting MotorsTV on my non-Smart LG HD TV with Humax HD machine. But I couldn't get it and now see that I have to have a Smart TV or internet connection to my Humax. Why is this? I don't understand the technology involved..why is it not just received over Freeview rather than streamed over the internet? My broadband speed is less than 1Mb so streaming on my PC is generally low quality and often buffered..no good for watching live TV. Very disappointed that Motors is not received as a standard Freeview channel.

Syd Wall's 25 posts Bronze Bronze GB
Mike Davison
11:13 PM Wetherby

Syd Wall: I see from your earlier posts that you decided to stick with Lark Stoke rather than Sutton Coldfield both of which the DigitalUK postcode check give good results for you. If you now reverted to SC, you would be able to get MotorsTV from COM7 at Location 71 on an HD Freeview receiver with DVB-T2 reception which you have. In my case I have a Humax HD PVR and Toshiba smart TV both of which get Motors TV from COM7 from Emley Moor OK but the web-based MotorsTV is incompatible with the Humax PVR and gives very poor and pixellated pictures on the Toshiba TV which is not actually listed as compatible with the service. My internet connection is 14Mbps so is not hanging around and probably adequate as HD BBC Iplayer is fine on both devices.

Mike Davison's 126 posts Silver Silver GB
Mike's: Freeview map terrain plot frequency data R&TI Service digitaluk trade DAB coverage
Wednesday, 15 October 2014
Syd Wall

Thanks Mike...I have got location 71 but there's no point in me getting the wireless dongle as my broadband is too slow. I won't get a speed upgrade for a year anreven then, BT can't say what speed it will be when it is complete.
My question was why is Motors TV streamed over the internet..why is it not broadcast so I can pick it up through my aerial?

Syd Wall's 25 posts Bronze Bronze GB
Sunday, 18 January 2015
Jon

Hi.
I have 3 freeview TV's. I can get motors tv & motors tv HD on the 2 Samsung, but not even motors tv on the third, which is a dvb-t nextbase voyager combi unit(plugged into the same aerial feed).I have channel 71 but is kids channel even after a rescan. Any suggestions as to why, or a souluion would be great.
Many Thanks.
Jon

Jon's 2 posts GB

Jon: Motors TV cannot be received on a DVB-T receiver as the programme is transmitted on COM7 which is an HD multiplex. The other point being, that Nextbase DVB devices although being able to receive standard Freeview SD channels are not to my knowledge actually Freeview receivers but "free to view" devices, likewise do not have standard EPG listing numbers, this being why 71 is listed whereas it isnt on a Freeview SD device.

jb38's 7,135 posts Platinum Platinum GB
Thursday, 22 January 2015
jon

thanks for your reply/help jb38, will invest in another tv.

jon's 2 posts GB